What is the challenge?
There is a growing awareness in the oil and gas industry, including in OMV Petrom, of the increasing need to integrate stakeholder engagement (SE) and sustainability into everyday business decisions, with a view to avoiding local conflicts that could pose risks to business (including social license to operate, downtime, permits, local credibility), minimise internal stress and improve overall operational efficiency, to name but a few. OMV Petrom commissioned astoneco management to run a company wide SE integration programme in 2012.
What solution was adopted?
Internal meetings at different management levels facilitated by astoneco identified and acknowledged the operational business case for SE integration in the company’s ten Exploration and Production (E&P) Assets in Romania. This was followed by a one-year programme of on-the-ground training and coaching; the programme supported the core management and project teams in developing the required mentality, skill set and engagement capacity to address their everyday challenges. Specifically, astoneco worked with the Asset teams to:
- identify specific challenges in daily operations and new project implementation, achieve team clarity around how to use SE to minimise current risks and maximise opportunities, and
- identify and implement a pilot project for each asset to apply the SE model and mentality, building the internal capacity to do so.
Steps to integrating the new operational approach included:
- achieving clarity regarding engagement roles, responsibilities and resources,
- enabling local teams to have their voice heard at corporate level,
- building the capacity to share material information with stakeholders in a timely manner,
- strengthening the process of getting timely approvals from the corporate level, so as to be able to respond to questions or pro-actively share information, and
- preparing the teams to move away from the old way of 'decide and defend', still being implemented in some areas of the business and resulting in more and more frustration among the local stakeholders.
Current status (2013):
An Asset Managers Meeting, with the participation of key decision makers in the company, is currently under preparation, to promote organisational solutions to the specific challenges identified in the programme. The end goal is to help OMV Petrom create and implement an organisational culture of business sustainability, with the required tools and processes to support core business and day-to-day activities in implementing it.
This work built on previous projects conducted for OMV Petrom, including:
- 2007: analysis of potential solutions for local stakeholder problems and initiation of short-term engagement solutions and a medium term CSR strategy,
- 2008: stakeholder engagement training and stakeholder issues awareness creation in all of Petrom E&P local Asset teams,
- 2010: co-creation of an OMV Petrom Stakeholder Engagement Toolkit with 220 local E&P managers,
- 2011: co-creation of pilot projects for on-the-job training in stakeholder engagement in each Asset.